4.19.2011

The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

(I do not blog much, but today I start)

This semester, my music class is what keeps me sane and actually excited to learn. Now, the irony of this sanity-keeper is that my music class is psychedelic rock of the 1960s (oh yeah!). To quote my professor, "I'm afraid if a Psychedelic Rock class is 'keeping you sane', you are probably well beyond all hopes of sanity." He is right, I left the idea of sanity long ago when I decided six classes and working and planning a wedding was in my realm of do-able. More on that later...

Last Tuesday, I didn't go to school because I woke up with what was the worst headache I have ever experienced. I tragically realized the following day that I missed the lecture in my music class about Arthur Brown! Needless to say, I was heartbroken. If you are unfamiliar with Arthur Brown, He is the God of hell fire and he brings you FIRE!

The Backstory
I had never heard of Arthur Brown until this class. At the beginning of the semester, I was listening to our class playlist with my mom, Nichole, and Andrew and we got to Arthur Brown's Fire. My mom stopped talking (mid-sentence) to began saying "I am the God of hell fire...and I bring you..." She then began dancing whimsically around the room to the music. It was great and strange. Since then, Andrew started looking into Arthur Brown and we saw he definitely was the God of hell fire (referencing the image of him with his head on fire). We luckily found The Crazy World of Arthur Brown on vinyl at our local record store and bought it.

Now remember, I have been looking forward to this lecture all semester. Andrew and my mom have asked me continually "when do you learn about Arthur Brown?" We had a little obsession. So, missing this lecture was devastating. However, I decided to approach my professor after class and request extra information about this Arthur Brown. He said he had some fantastic videos to share with me and just to send him an email. So I did...the moment I left class. I explained our obsession and he agreed further knowledge was certainly necessary. Here are those videos for you all to enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5hs3IDETcg
"dig the poor, lost soul who wanders into the picture at 1:35" -Professor Simgel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFI3aY4lKCc&feature=related
"great interview in which Brown discusses some of the challenges to donning a fire helmet" - Professor Smigel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uq_HLfzEaM&feature=related
"photo documentation of an inevitable costume mishap" -Professor Smigel

I hope you enjoy these videos as much as I will! (I haven't watched them yet, I'm saving them for after my last class today.)

No comments: